Saturday, November 1, 2008

Palin: Protect My First Amendment Rights!

Palin is now worried that her First Amendment rights may have been violated by the press. See, the Press (which, correct me if I'm wrong, also has an Amendment that says they can say what they want. Its like the 30th, or 10th. Wait. It's the First too), like totally took that right from her when they called her on being negative to Obama.
"If [the media] convince enough voters that that is negative campaigning, for me to call Barack Obama out on his associations," Palin told host Chris Plante, "then I don't know what the future of our country would be in terms of First Amendment rights and our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media."
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but when people report that you call some guy's friends terrorists and put ads on television and devote entire speeches to attacking a guy's character, typically, its not out of the norm to call said ads and speech "negative". This is ludicrous. If I go out spouting hate speech in the streets and Colin, reporting for the Courant, tells me to stop being so damn negative, my reaction isn't to tell Colin that he's infringing on my right to free speech. Rather, as a sane individual, my reaction is "Dude's probably right, I should most likely stop yelling hate speech in public if I don't want to be considered negative".
"It's sort of perplexing to me, because I'm a practical person and plainspoken also, but just cutting to the chase and calling things like I see them, just like most Americans. But this has not left a bitter taste in my mouth, the bitter shots taken by the mainstream media and by some of the elitism there in Washington," Palin said.
That's cool. I'm practical and plainspoken too. THE MEDIA IS TOO. How is your questioning some guy's character for his associations any different than the media questioning your motives when you say that a presidential candidate "pals around with terrorists"?! This seems like a total double standard that Palin is trying to set up here. Ms. Palin, sorry that you've come off as an out of touch airhead, but maybe you should have had more intelligent things to say over the course of the campaign. The media isn't the reason that Sarah Palin is viewed as an unexperienced, unqualified fool. Sarah Palin is.

1 comment:

amanda.mandi said...

Great post! I completely agree and have resolved to stop following Sarah Palin (well, mostly). She angers me in a very bad way, but also gives me something to laugh at once in a while. The sad part is, people are sympathizing with her,as evidenced by comments on all the articles referencing her less-than-legitimate First Amendment statement.